Re: [RC] Scid, and other post.. - Cathy

>>Since the carrier rate in the breed is considerably lower than 10% (by the
estimates of the geneticists who study this particular gene), the net
result is that only a fraction of 1% of foals would ever be affected.<<

Which is part of the reason that the stallion I bred to took 8 years and 20 some thing foals on the ground to come up with an affected foal.  The other reason is that a majority of her breedings are to non arabians.

>>Given a test, there is no reason to EVER breed a carrier to another
carrier, hence with responsible breeding practices, the affected rate
should be zero.  (And testing IS making a considerable difference--I
haven't heard of anyone having a SCID-affected foal in ages, although
there are still enough folks out there who don't test that the possibility
certainly exists.)<<

Well, you've heard of one now, in 2004.  I think this was my point. She new SCIDS existed, she new there was a test but she decided to play the odds, which were pretty good considering that 75% of the horses she bred were non Arabians.

I personally have no problem breeding a carrier, provided every one is informed and your not breeding a carrier to a carrier.  You're right, you can't dictate ethics or morality.  So, it's up to us to not be stupid like me and trust ANYONE, even a "friend".  I might  have bred to him anyway, he's 98% Crabbet and VERY athletic and correct, but I would have preferred to have been informed.

I know that Heidi knows the people at Bend Equine.  They are the ones that diagnosed the foal.  There were apparently some nasty words exchanged between the sires owner and them.  It was apparently their position that he should never be bred again.  I'm not sure on what grounds, that a SCIDS horse should never be bred or that she was clearly an unethical person in having allowed even one to hit the ground when it could have been avoided.  If the second, I'm not sure I don't agree with them.

Cathy