Re: [RC] [RC] SCID: Breeding Decisions - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Marsha love2ride3@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You do not know how happy I am to see this discussion on Ridecamp, and the tone
of the discussion.

Heidi, I could not have responded any better. Thank you
for being such a wonderful, informed and succinct
spokesperson.

I am from the day when you found out the HARD WAY
you had a CID carrier.  You wound up with a foal you had to
euthanize.  There was no other choice then to stop breeding
those horses. That was heartbreak all around, not only the
loss of a precious young life, but all the promotion, showing
and expense you had gone to with the stallion and sometimes the
mare.

Thank god for progress in this case.

A very major breeding farm just had an internet auction.
Two of the mares offered were advertised as SCID carriers.
They got plenty of bids. Especially since the one mare is the
dam of Last years U.A.E. and European Junior Champion Filly.
That filly had sold to the UAE as a yearling for $40,000.

The "witch hunt" mentality is finally giving way, thank god.

I will continue with testing of my herd as I go, I will
then make informed breeding decisions.

I am still very surprised when I inquire on purchasing broodmares
that I have yet to ask someone if they have been tested and
had an affirmative answer!

VetGen feels that 28% of our population are carriers.
That is a lot of horses.
So, if you are breeding your mares and have not tested, make
sure you ask the stallion owner the status of his horse or if
he has had it tested.  If they haven't I strongly encourage you
to test your mare before you breed.  As a side note tests can be
purchased through the F.O.A.L association for the reduced fee
of $99.00.

Thank god none of us ever have to produce an affected foal.