Re: [RC] [RC] SCID: Breeding Decisions - heidi

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:47:53 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time), Cathy
<danugna@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With ethical breeders, it would be possible to breed
the SCIDS gene into oblivion in a rather short time and still keep the
good traits of those bloodlines.

I wish I could agree, but the mathematics of population genetics are
against us.  If every breeding Arabian in the world was in the hands of
a perfectly ethical breeder, the odds are still that in
eliminating the SCID gene, we will be eliminating necessary genetic
diversity within a closed gene pool.  Thus my suggestion that the goal
is never to lose another foal to SCID, rather than eliminating the gene
itself.

Ambar is right--the goal is not necessarily to eliminate it, but rather to
gradually decrease its frequency without losing genetic material along
with it.

Another pet peeve: "bloodlines" don't carry SCID.  Individual horses
either do or don't.

Amen to that!  No matter HOW many proven or suspected carriers are in a
horse's pedigree, if he is clear, he is clear!  And even if the problem
has never come up in a given family, if he is a carrier, he is a carrier!

Ironically, the first two stallions of mine that I tested were ones who I
knew had close-up carriers in their pedigrees.  Both tested clear.  It was
on further testing of the ones that I did not suspect that I came up with
a carrier...  And I also have a leased mare here who is tested clear whose
parents were BOTH carriers--a mating that would not be done now, due to
the risk, but she was born before there was a test, and neither parent had
ever produced a SCID foal, so neither was "suspect."

Heidi