Re: [RC] Mud and More Mud - heidi larson

Hey Katee, as an appraiser, that's the one thing I see that alot of builders skimp on when building, diverting water AWAY from the foundation, on a house even!  Lot's of mold problems that way too. Rarely ever see barns without mud, I guess people don't want to put out the initial expense, (I didn't) but it's worth it!

And on a sad note, my neighbors, new to horses, have a small barn/outbuilding with galvanized metal siding that went below the dirt line, but due to the mud, his horse stepped and sunk her back leg in and got it caught under the metal edge, ripped it up, ripping tendons and the tendon sheath above her fetlock. They had to have her put down on New Year's Day. Good drainage, no mud and of course some sort of edging around the exposed metal could have saved his mare. I'm a fanatic about metal edges, nails, corners, etc. He was feeling bad and blaming himself, which is normal I'm sure, but as we all know, if there is anything that is dangerous or you could injure yourself on, a horse will find it!! Except for those occasional horses we see in pastures with a junk yard in the middle. Those horses never seem to get hurt! Go figure! I have another friend with a pristine pasture, barely a rock, never had any junk or garbage on it and her yearling did a sliding stop, ran his butt over a small stick that was partially buried and now he has a nice check mark scar on his rump! One stick and that accident prone kid found it!!!

heidi

Advantage Saddles <owensall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, I saved your e-mail about the french drain, and will incorporate it when we move later this year.  I am sick of mud too.
Katee

heidi larson wrote:
Very cool product. Saw it at the horse expo in Puyallup, Wa.  Spendy though, but what isn't when you attach the words "horse product" to it?!!!  I think I figured just the grid would be $400+ in front of each stall and that didn't count the rock and sand that they require. I still would want the french drain under mine, just due to the amt. of rain we get here. But still, I'd like to use it on the top of my next project if I ever get a new horse property.

heidi

Advantage Saddles <owensall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This website looks to have an interesting product.
http://www.stable-grid.com

Katee

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine