[RC] more news from Reid Ridgway in Tailand - Lari Shea

(Does anyone know of a way for people to donate to Reid's efforts under the auspices of a non-profit organization, with the money tagged for his project?  I've heard of this possibility, but do not know how to effect it.... In the mean while, donate through his dad at Bank of America account # #05638 02127 the name of Kerry R. Ridgway.  .... Lari Shea)

From Reid Ridgway, in
Phuket Thailand on Jan 3rd:
I will give you a quick rundown of our efforts thus far, and our idea on being effective. The first day after we were shell shocked and I'm afraid a bit aimless in our shock. I took my camera down to Patong and was so moved that I came back and called Marco and we began our plan. I sent the letter you received out, and the next morning, I organized the
rental of a car and packed it full of clothing, water, and food. My dive gear and a medicine bag. I was told that divers were in need to find bodies in the underground level portions of buildings and pools of resorts. We went to Koh Lak, where I have so many friends, and where the dive company I work for has it's main office. We had heard few survived there. And when we got there, my heart nearly jumped from my body as we surveyed the scene. The building did not look like anyone could have been on the lower floor and survived. And the bungalows that housed the staff weren't there anymore. 300 or more bodies were rotting in the sun, many uncovered. There was damage almost 1 km inshore and these building were only 100 meters from the sea. I got a text message on my phone from the shop manager at that time. Most phone service was impossible, but his SMS got through and it simply said "ok". I began to cry wondering how they could possibly have made it out. I will hear their stories tonight. We drove on to check on Marco's many friends in the towns above and eventually made it to Takua Pa. We interviewed some of the people in charge of the Forensics unit and asked what was needed. We were being asked my many survivors to photograph rings, jewelry, cell phones, and pictures and relatives in the hope of matching personal belongs with the dead. We stayed most of the day there help by using our cameras to document the more than 1500 bodies there. There were 1100 a mile up in another operation. And we had seen 300 bodies in Kho Lak and many, many places where no one had looked but smelled of massive death. We got an opportunity to question the deputy prime minister of Thailand why the government was lying and completely downplaying the numbers of the dead. We explained that Foreign people would never forgive Thailand for lying and that the plan to save the tourism industry by deceiving people would backfire. We had a lot of support from a woman doctor who is a forensics expert and a TV personality in Thailand. We told them it was preventing the aid and resources from arriving in time to help people find their loved ones. The next day the official numbers had tripled in all the media.

The following day we spent half a day there doing the same and then felt we could not remain there any longer because the emotions and grief was overwhelming and we wanted to continue our documentation and get it back to the people who could help us if they saw the pictures, and still had not toured the place where Marco's friends were. We armed
ourself with information on the scope of things and the relief effort and continued back to Baan Sak Beach. There we found that not one person had survived and all the beach front restaurants and homes were completely overwhelmed and only cement foundations cracked in half remained. It was a place Marco had sat with these people and eaten their food and it was very very hard to fathom. We went back through Koh Lak and filmed the situation there. We assisted at the Sofitel Magic Lagoon and Spa Resort. A place that was the scene of epic tragedy and death. We witnessed the removal of 8 bodies and found a ninth one covered in debris next to our vehicle. We came home exhausted and traumatized but determined to help.

Marco is on Phi Phi island today with a supply boat, I am hosting a dinner for the staff of Andaman Scuba tonight. All of them are my friends and co workers. All have lost everything­ first from the terrible force of the waves and then from the terrible people who looted the area. They were all in the very worst hit area and all have their only their stories and their lives. The company sustained huge damage to one of the live aboard boats and the other live aboard dive boat is 200 meters inshore, but possibly still recoverable. The shop is still standing but there is no money to repair it and it is unclear whether Koh Lak will ever be a viable town again. None have jobs, homes, money, id, or anything. Thus far the money I have received is only enough for the immediate question of food and shelter. The company has one office here in Phuket and people are sleeping on the floor, but it is only a temporary solution. I have been up for days and trying to get out the message and communicate with the people who have doubts and questions like yourself. It is hard because while have no illusions about it's necessity and understand why, it's still frustrating spend so much time with individual questions and responses. But I suppose that it's my best use of time if I can garner the trust and the response of people to our effort. Still the effort itself is what people are interested in, and not the talking about it. I have to divide my time between fund raising and being on active duty. I need two of me.
(more in next email)