RE: [RC] joint supplements -- which is best value? - Mike Sofen

The best value for a real joint supplement (only) product from a real source
that I've found is the Coflxin from United Equine Vet.  It delivers 4400 mgs
of Glucosamine Sulfate, 1600 mgs of Chondroitin Sulfate, and 270 mgs of
Manganese Ascorbate, for about $0.70/day (buy the 3 lb jar).

United also makes a "4 in 1" mix that contains lower levels of Glucosamine
Sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate and MSM, but adds usable levels of biotin,
probiotics and Omegas 3 & 6 from flaxseed.  Runs about $1.28/day.

Susan Garlinghouse swears by Platinum Performance, but that is also an
all-in-one product, rather than a joint supplement, and is pretty pricy.
Many other endurance riders also swear by it.  When I use up my current
stuff, I may think again about switching back to it.

There is some disagreement about what constitutes a usable dose for the
joint supplements, and my sense is that if the dose is below a certain
threshold, it is worthless.  This appears to be the case in humans as well
as equines.  For equines, for the initial "loading" period (usually about 30
days), Glucosamine levels of up to 12,000 mg/day have been recommended,
reducing to half that after the loading period.

I personally use both the Coflxin and 4 in 1, with the Coflxin boosting the
base 4 in 1 joint compounds to true maintenance levels (about 5,700 mg/day
of GS).

While not an expert on the compounds, I compared a ton of other products and
they all (the ones I found) used either inferior ingredients, had inadequate
dosage levels, cost way more, or all of the above.  If there's a better
product out there, I'm also interested.

And this raises an important question:  during the off season, should we
even care about this type of supplement?  After all, it is a
proactive/preventative, and without joint stress, their own bodies should
make enough joint stuff naturally, yes?

Mike Sofen