Re: [RC] Piney Pig - Truman Prevatt

Du Puis was the home of one of FL's oldest endurance rides when the Concerned Horsemen of Palm Beach moved their ride from a state park near Jupiter, FL to Du Puis. It was the first ride I did back when it was at JD and it was a blast. I learned "never to start with the pack even if the pack is only 13 horses." I also learned on that first ride if you do start with the pack - your horse is probably ruined for life if you want a nice calm start. I've always been fond of the old Concerned Horemen ride that was traditionally run the first Saturday after New Years and was sad to see the Concerned Horsemen stop having the ride. My mare always liked it and the "swamp rat" always did well there.

Meagan and her crew have picked up the ride sight and run a great ride. It does have a 100 so those who need a 100 to qualify for the NAC, should seriously think about this ride.

It is a great place to ride and a great place to camp. There are some great resturants not too far from camp :-) . But it can get hot and the air can be so heavy you have to cut it with a knif. Depending on the weather clipping might be a good option if your horse has a lot of hair- after all it is the tropics.

Great ride - lots of wildlife both in the woods and party animals in camp. Just ignore the two big red eyes looking at you from the swamp - it won't hurt you.

Truman

oddfarm wrote:

Du Puis is a very nice place to ride. I rode it a couple of times a few years ago and always had a great ride. It was pretty hot one time, and a cold front came through another time, after the ride. Naturally. If you come from up north, keep on eye on the weather. If it gets above 75, I would seriously consider clipping some hair if you have a wooly mammoth. Du Puis is SOUTH Florida.
I have no doubt that Meagan will put on a first class ride. And those Florida Floosies down there are just too much fun!
Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm

--

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.” Harry S. Truman