[RC] Moon Blindness - labdoggy

I have a mare that has/had moon blindness.....or I should say that she
had a "bout" of it back in August of 99.  She has not had it since.  The
one eye that she had it in is more sensitive ie: watering occasionally
etc. but all in all she has been symptom free for almost 5 years.  My vet
at the time felt that it was Environmentally induced....she was in a VERY
STRESSFUL situation.
My current vet feels that it has a lot to do with the Lepto
bacteria.  Even though of course they have not done any major studies on
this disease in horses.  She likes to inoculate with the cattle vaccine
(seeing as they do not have one for horses).  When we did a blood test
(just for my vets own research) my mare had a very high titer(sp?) on a
few of the lepto strains.
I just try to keep her as stress free as possible, and hope that another
bout is non existent or at least kept to a minimum.

Lynn Brunetto
An Endurance Admirer

Lynn

The CRI was originally a test for humans developed at UCLA in 1939.  A
professor at UC Davis named Morey Fowler became interested in this and
wondered how it would work on horses and started testing it.  Dr. Fowler
was at one time the head vet at Tevis.  A young vet named Kerry Ridgeway
worked with him on this project helping to collect the data...........and
as they say, the rest is history...
~ mb