[RC] Mentor madness - oddfarm

Alrighty kids, before things get ugly, let's consider a few things.

First of all to address some comments made in various posts. Not everybody goes out to win. Some of us CAN control our horses and don't care about miles or points or placing. (Me!) So let US volunteer to take newbies out without all the negativity.

When I started this sport I had a mentor. He rode like Yosemite Sam. My first ride with him was everything it shouldn't have been. What did I know? It took quite a few rides before I finally figured out how the vet checks worked. Yes, I went to ride meetings but the actual vetting was never as it was described. For example, how many times have I heard someone in the PR area insist that a rider go right through? You don't have to do that. You can get your time, go let your horse eat and drink and come back later. Can be very confusing and intimidating. Not everyone has someone at home to ride and talk with.

Just because it is someone's first ride, doesn't mean they are not prepared. I was very ready to take my drivers license test, but I still had to have someone in the car with me. As ready as I was, I still missed a stop sign. Nerves. I'll bet most of the first time riders do have a basic knowledge, but it helps to have someone with a little more experience to validate your ideas. Even top riders in all disciplines take lessons now and again just to get an objective evaluation from another professional.

By all means, if you see someone in the vet area needing help, chip in. But if everyone is as busy as Angie described, who will have time? At least with a mentor or someone who has offered their undivided attention, the help will be SURE to come.

Now for the neigh-sayers of the whole program because Howard is involved. He will not be fully in charge. Okay, so his own ride record leaves a lot to be desired. But by offering to help and pushing this idea on, there are no excuses. If you don't help, he can get the last word in and say, "I told you so. No one else cares". You all don't want that.

I think we all agree that education is an important factor in preventing deaths and permanent injuries. Is Panty Man the one to lead the class? Well, we all have our doubts and maybe rightly so. However, as long as we try to pitch in, it can't be all that bad, right? Kids sometimes say they are going to do things that they never meant to follow through with, but they need to. I have learned that if you step on their heels, just so they can't turn around and go the other way, they will do what they said they were going to do. That always makes them a better person. Maybe Howie is trying to redeem himself. We are all entitled to that every now and again.

So if you don't like the idea, (and I have yet to say that I think it is the answer, but I don't know what is) don't volunteer. If you really hate the teacher that much, don't sign up for the class.

What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?
At least make the attempt. If it doesn't work out, then we can all blame Howard.

Lisa Salas, teh Odd fARm