Re: [RC] Ride info - Jim Holland

Hmmm...I think I started this thread....but what I was referring to was
not the "weather".....but ride "parameters" like:

- Number of Vet Checks
- How far between checks
- Hold times
- Pulse criteria
- Was CRI used?

I think this is relevant...and might produce a pattern.  Why not? Can't
hurt, might help.

Having the report online, with a link to the Vet Committee Report for
each fatality would also give some insight into "what happened" under
"what circumstances" to the membership.

I was very impressed by Dr. Jim Baldwin's article in the "Vet Forum" and
I urge everyone to read it. Quote:

*********
"When I became chairman of the Veterinary Committee there were many that
were not satisfied with the reports on horse fatalities. As the
Veterinary Committee is charged with the responsibility of reviewing
these, I set out to do what I perceived as a "better job." After I had
investigated (for want of a better word) and written up the reports they
were sent to the Veterinary Committee for review and comment before
sending on to the board of directors. Once reported to the BOD they
become a permanent record.

What I perceived as fairly straightforward was met with intense
criticism by some. I took all the criticism and tried to evaluate it by
my standards. Some of the reports I altered and some I left as
originally written but I did not forget the objections. I think all in
AERC want fair, unbiased, factual and consistently written reports."
********

Dr. Baldwin, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We DO want
that type of reporting. The BoD...and the Vet Committee...were subjected
to some very intense scrutiny and a lot of disapproval because of their
"no information", "no access to Vet Committee Reports" attitude over
horse deaths.

IMHO, it would be in the best interests of AERC if they did NOT go back
there.

I'm looking forward to attending the "Hot Topics" sessions.  Would be
great if Dr. Baldwin's schedule allowed him to attend one of the
sessions for some Q and A.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Michael Maul wrote:

information" was talking about the ride *conditions* -- such
as weather (hot and humid? cold and clammy? "

***********
Well it would be nice to have "useful" info like this but
hot and humid - cold and clammy - are not too useful.

A SE or CT riders view of hot and humid would be a lot
different than a PS rider.  I've seen PS and W riders call a
day hot and humid that would have been considered a
beautiful day in south Texas.

Mike

Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence