RE: [RC] [RC] [AERC-Members] Make it Happen/Angie? - David LeBlanc

I can name a whole bunch of mentors I've had, but there ain't
a single one of them who taught me anything during an actual
ride.

I can. I usually learn something most rides, and I've found I learn a whole
lot when riding with really experienced riders. One ride a while back I was
with 3 people that had over 20,000 miles between them and I'm still grateful
for the opportunity. Maybe I'm just luckier than most. Any time I get to
ride with even one person with a lot more experience teaches me something.
I'm not naming names, but y'all all know who you are.

It was all during training rides, sitting around a
campfire, a tidbit of advice here and there to help solve a
problem [snip]

All that's helpful, too.

I just can't see the value in mentoring "at the ride". That's
really a lot to ask of someone whether they are highly
competitive or not.

It might not work for you. Of course, if you've only done 4 AERC rides, you
might change your mind later. I'm really grateful for the people that have
taken time to teach me things, both on the trail and off (including here). I
feel like if someone wants to learn I ought to pass that along. It might be
a lot to ask, but what comes around goes around. And I'm an adult and have
the option of telling someone they're asking too much.

Get your mentoring before hand, come
prepared and try to find someone compatible to ride with if
that's your thing. But don't expect someone to hold your hand
and keep you and your horse outta trouble.

Mentor != parent. The job of a mentor is to give advice, hopefully when
you're ready to learn. It isn't about hand-holding. This is what I mean
about patience. Teaching hasn't ever made me much money (adjunct faculty
means you work nearly for free), but it is certainly one of the most
rewarding things I've ever done.

One of my best professors told a great story one day - he didn't do enough
research, so the administration made him teach more classes. "What they
don't understand", he said, "is that I LIKE to teach."

Mentors are out there and they are willing to give of their
time. But the newbie must be willing to listen and follow
through and not be too eager to just enter an event.

One of my biggest early learning experiences was crewing. My friend told me
I'd learn more from crewing than riding and he was right. But I'd already
entered 2 rides and had a better idea of what I needed to learn. People
learn by doing, by watching and listening, and by reading. Different people
learn better one way or another, and it can vary from time to time and one
topic to another.

Although I can see some problems with the suggestion, I think it is an
interesting one. I hear a bunch of people complain about newbies doing this,
that or the other thing screwed up. We ought to put our money where our
mouths are and at least give them a good opportunity to see how to do it
right. Folks running up front are probably not the best ones to do this (not
because they're not doing things right - it's because they're busy). I know
I'm not going to try and worry much about someone else while I'm going down
the trail really fast. If I'm going to teach anyone anything, I'll shoot for
back of the pack that day.

I can see problems, but I can see some solutions, too - new rider, new
horse, and now there's a few of them? Start late. Maybe even make a deal
with the RM where newbies can start 15 or 30 minutes late (and get extended
time on the finish). Bunch of horses acting like nitwits? Limit the size of
the group. Experienced rider doesn't have the horse for the job that day?
Pick someone else. Plan on doing this in advance and bring a calm horse.

This might be hard to do, but most things that are worthwhile aren't easy.

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm