[RC] Horse Welfare Committee Reports - KimFue

"That said, I'm still looking for RIDE information on each of the horse deaths.  Until I see that, IMHO, the "report" is incomplete."

Well, IMHO the "report" is not complete until HORSE COLOR, PEDIGREE, RIDER GENDER & TYPE OF HOOF PROTECTION is included because perhaps this information will help us better understand horse deaths at endurance rides.  Of course, I am not serious but this kind of thinking blows me away.  I don't understand how someone can post the report is not complete because it does not contain "ride" information!  How about rephrasing and asking  that NEXT year the committee include the following information in the report because.....adding whatever reason you have because you think it will enhance the report.  Perhaps the committee will find your suggestion helpful or perhaps they won't find it a necessary component.  The 2003 year end report is an excellent first attempt to put something together on this subject matter.  I am sure that as this committee evolves the year end reports will also.

This is the first year end horse fatality report that has been compiled by the Horse Welfare Committee, a committee that is LESS then one year old. I think Jim Mitchell did an excellent job putting this report together.  It contains some very valuable information that is easily read and digested by all readers.  I like the way it contains the basic facts yet is sensitive to the subject matter.  I found the same thing true with the Case Study Report on page 9 of EN.

I agree with Karen, I am glad I am not on this committee.  I can only imagine how much time and energy goes into researching, interviewing, and writing up these reports so they will be helpful, informative and accessible to the entire AERC membership.  It is amazing that there are still complaints.  Now, not because there is NOTHING being done/reported on horse deaths but because certain information is included (beetle poisoning death) or not included (ride information).

I probably would have sent these privately to the original posters but private e mail addresses are xxxx'd out in archives.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648