Re: [RC] [RC] [AERC-Members] Make it Happen/Angie? - Truman Prevatt

I don't mean to be facetious, but just because you have never seen a black swan - does that mean they don't exist? Has the experiment been run - not to my knowledge? I don't know if on trail mentors will help or not - I'm not a fortune teller. But I suspect that mini clinics at rides will be extremely useful. As for mentors we won't know till we try.

Truman

Deanna German wrote:

Annnnd... once again Angie hits the nail on the head!!

I can name a whole bunch of mentors I've had, but there ain't a single one
of them who taught me anything during an actual ride. It was all during
training rides, sitting around a campfire, a tidbit of advice here and there
to help solve a problem (Angie, you're good at that, you helped me a few
times). Yeah, my horse has only got one endurance ride and three LD's under
her girth, but she also has 500+ CTR miles that I couldn't have done as
comfortably without my mentors.

I just can't see the value in mentoring "at the ride". That's really a lot
to ask of someone whether they are highly competitive or not. Get your
mentoring before hand, come prepared and try to find someone compatible to
ride with if that's your thing. But don't expect someone to hold your hand
and keep you and your horse outta trouble.

Mentors are out there and they are willing to give of their time. But the
newbie must be willing to listen and follow through and not be too eager to
just enter an event.

Deanna

---------------------------

Angie wrote:
I have mentored *many* riders...but to me mentoring means I got them
started AT HOME. We spent weeks or months going on training rides and
discussing the basics, what to expect, what to be prepared for, etc. etc.
I loaned them books, articles, videos. I helped them choose tack, decide
what to take to the ride. TONS of stuff. Now, you want me to suddenly
meet someone for the first time at a ride, when I hardly have time to get
my vet check set up, and eat a sandwich while walking back and forth, and
try to explain all that stuff and not leave something important out?
<snip>

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help. ~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards