Re: [RC] Horse Welfare Committee Article - Jim Holland

Actually, I can see how this could happen.  At a ride in the SE, we had
a serious colic going on....had the vets all a-twitter trying to figure
out the cause.  Then, Dr. Ken Marcella happened to notice that the horse
had "onion breath".  Seems he had been snacking along the trail on the
wild onions so common around here....and he wasn't used to eating those.
Another indication that it's a good idea to make sure that you
"condition" your horse's diet at home to what he's going to see at a
ride. Yanking him off a nice green pasture 24/7 and feeding only hay for
several days IMHO is asking for a colic. Radical diet changes are not a
good idea anytime, but stress condititons exerbate the problem.

I can see how a horse could end up with beetle poisoning by eating hay
(possibly somebody else's) contaminated with beetles at a ride. It's an
"indirect" cause, but certainly worth noting to remind riders that
quantity, quality, and "normal" diet are issues that should be
considered.

We can learn something from EVERY horse death, which is why it is SO
important that we document each one, determine why it happened, how it
might have be prevented, and provide that information to the membership,
in excruciating detail. Even if we're not sure it was ride related, and
it was anywhere close to a ride, let's look at it.  Can't hurt, might
learn something!

That said, I'm still looking for RIDE information on each of the horse
deaths.  Until I see that, IMHO, the "report" is incomplete.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Sheila Larsen Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just mailed a letter to the editor regarding the article from the
Welfare Committee.  The long and the short of it, and which you can read
hopefully in the next issue is that they had better do a better job in
defining what constitutes a horse death as a result of endurance riding.
Beetle poisoning as a result of endurance riding, I don't think so.

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards