Re: [RC] Qualifications for Mentors - bechack

The Curriculum could start with what BASICS your horse needs to know
to be able to vet in!  How to stand still (at least somewhat) and
what constitutes a good trot out!

Then how to properly tie / contain horse over night.  What options
are good for feed and water overnight...notice I said OPTIONS, as
there is NO ONE WAY TO DO THIS.

Trail manners.

DO NO CROWD THE HORSE IN FRONT OF YOU ON TRAIL

DO NOT LET YOUR HORSE RUB OTHERS AT THE WATER TROUGH

DO NOT PASS A WATER TROUGH OR SAFE SPOT WITH NATURAL WATER.

OFFER A CHANCE TO EAT OUT ON TRAIL, BE IT BITES OF HAY OR GRAZE ALONG
THE TRAIL

GET OFF AND WALK ONCE IN A WHILE.  STEEP DOWNHILLS OR OUT ON THE
FLATS IF YOU CAN'T MANAGE UPHILLS ON FOOT

OFFER A RIDER COMING UP BEHIND YOU THE TRAIL BEFORE THEY NEED TO ASK

WARN THOSE YOU ARE PASSING "ON YOUR RIGHT" OR "LEFT"

This is just a start.....Come on everyone....we all have a list of
"pet peeves" that someone has done to us out on trail....

Becky and the gang

your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards