[RC] Great Quote, and tribute to my father - Julie Fuller

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out , and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- What a ride!

I discovered this quote years ago, slightly different in that the ending said:

proclaiming, Geronimo!

I imeadiately sent it to my Dad, who is one of those wonderfully blessed people who has spent his entire life behind a desk...( he's an electronics engineer) and yet, through genetics, will, and perhaps sheer good luck, has always been an avid trail monster who would put a lot of endurance horses to shame!

When I saw this, it was just after he had gone with my friends and I on a training ride. Papa has NEVER been on a horse, and this was NO exception..... he walked, ran, and jogged for 15 miles of pretty steep, rocky hills, on a day that reached 85 degrees before we got home. He was never more than 10 minutes behind us the entire time, and was usually about 1-2 minutes behind!

We weren't going slow.... we trotted, cantered and galloped, walking only where the trail was too difficult to go faster. He didn't know the trail, and it was a loop we had put together out of deer paths, motorcycle trails,and logging roads, so when we came to a spot that wasn't a real obvious turn-off, I'd jump down and mark the turn with a pile of leaves or rocks. Everytime I did this, he'd be coming into view before I had a chance to finish, or just as I'd gotten back on my horse!

I carried a few extra water bottles for him, and dropped them in the trail.... usually at the base of a steep hill. On this particular loop, there was a 2 mile uphill, absolutely unrelenting, before a half mile down hill to home (Awesome, awesome, for the horses!) This was the only place we got ahead of him..... we were at home 10 minutes when he came down the driveway, grinning ear to ear!

The man is amazing!

Eight years ago, he and I went to Hells Canyon. We started at Hat Point (el. 7900) and hiked to the bottom( el. 1400). It's 6.5 - 7 miles down. We stayed at the bottom for 45 minutes, eating lunch, and soaking our feet in the Snake River. Then we hiked back out. Total was 12 hours, and if you do the math, you'll see that it's almost exactly like walking stairs for nearly 14 miles!

I survived, (I was 36 then) but MAN! Was I sore! We drove to Walla Walla that evening, to my Grandmothers house, where I spent three days taking Advil (for which I thank the gods) and pacing to keep my poor body from locking up! Grandma kept offering me her walker! My muscles hurt from my shoulders to my ankles!

Papa was 60 that year..... and he was admittedly sore in the shins. Thats all.

So.... this wonderfull quote surely fits! He printed it out and hung it above his computer... along with pictures of he and I hiking in Hells Canyon, Glacier National Park, The Strawberry Mountains, The Steens Mountains.......

Julie

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris