[RC] Off the beaten path - Julie Fuller

Over the years, I have ridden in some strange and wonderful places. (For a long time, I was one of those lucky ones you don't want to hear about!) But I have had pretty good luck with going to the owner of property and asking to ride. Some say no, but most say yes.

Living where I do now, I went looking for places to ride that were close, and had a place for the truck and trailer..... and REALLY lucked out! Just five miles form here, where the road turns to gravel and goes into the back of beyond for DAYS, with many logging roads and trails, there was a house.*grin* Said house just happened to house a horse person! (No horses o the property, he hasn't built his barn yet, and boards them elsewhere)

Really nice people.... they let us park our truck and trailer across the road from their house, where there is a big feild to turn around in. In fact, they have friends who do the same. As we ride during the week, we haven't even had to share the field or parking spot yet!

I also recently discovered a park, run by the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resourses) that has access to a road which runs along the top of a dike along the Columbia River. After seeing no "Horses Prohibited" signs, I got curious, and checked the web. Sure enough, horses are allowed on the road, and there are a couple of places to park! Weeeee! (This is 7 miles from our house)

To top that off, the road ends at two ranches.... I know one owner, and plan to get acquainted with the other... I'm sure it won't be a problem... she owns property on our road that we have permission to ride on. And after doing more detective work, both on the web, and yakking at neighbors who have been in this area for years, I now know there is a trail along the river, near the rr tracks that was once an indian trail! How freakin' cool is that!? So much exploring to do!

On the other hand, I do have one neighbor who, while a nice guy, won't let us ride on his property.... liability issues. Damn our litigious society!

Julie
(who will refrain from telling you how far it is to the Pacific Crest Trail from my front door) *grin*

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards