From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: [RC] Sub-Optimal Performance (was: Apples/Oranges/UAE)

Terre said:

To put it another way, most people don't set out to produce a
sub-optimal performance.

Depending upon how you define "sub-optimal" (since one COULD define
"optimal" to be that which you set out to do, in which case it would be
axiomatic that it is impossible to set out to produce a sub-optimal
performance :)).

If, however, what you mean by sub-optimal is to produce something less
than the horse's best possible performance on any individual day, then I
can honestly say, that at least for me you are wrong.

At every endurance ride I go to I actively seek to produce this kind of
sub-optimal performance. I try very hard (although I confess that I
don't always succeed) to never ask my horse to get any where near the
extent of its capabilities.

And, I suspect that I am not alone in this....but if I am, I shouldn't
be. :)

kat
Orange County, Calif.

Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long