RE: [RC] [RC] apples/oranges/UAE - terre

At 02:53 PM 2/21/2004, Catfish Daniels wrote:
I do, however, feel that as important as it is to separate these "organizations", it's only fair not to bunch the good guys up with the bad guys by doing so.

Ah, but I don't think there ARE any 'bad guys'. I simply think the different organizations (AERC/FEI) have different primary goals; neither is 'good' or 'bad'--just aimed at a different population of rider. I think the UAE folk, with FEI level as their initial exposure to the sport, are caught somewhat in-between.

So, athough the FEI's primary goal and focus may not necessarely be on how many years someone uses one particular horse, one ought to focus on the many FEI riders that are indeed committed to their horse's welfare, and have taken the initiative to prove themselves and their horses over and over again.

One of the most interesting--and challenging--aspects of our sport is that it takes years to develop a good horse, especially at the 100 mile level. To some extent, the need to qualify for FEI rides obligates the horse handlers to have some 'historical mileage'. The equine fatalities in Spain resulted in FEI raising the qualifications, for this very reason.

With all the recent posts, I am not at all convinced that peaking a horse for one magical season only, is necessarely such a bad idea, providing the horse finishes its season healthy in relation to the sport.

Or even striving for many seasons (and miles), but peaking for only one or two events per season. It is an odd aspect of our sport that, other than when starting a young horse, most riders moreorless do 'the best they can' at every ride they attend. Now, for many people "the best they can do" is "just" a solid completion; still, they try to "improve" (however they define it) at each ride. To put it another way, most people don't set out to produce a sub-optimal performance. This is why some people feel that high mileage is as hard on a horse as high speed--in many cases the horses are being asked to 'give their all' each and every time they start.

Don't think any of this means anything to most of us in a practical sense--we all just do what we consider to be 'the right thing'. It's when we start thinking that people who don't share our particular goals are 'bad guys' that we maybe start getting into dangerous ground....

terre

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards