Re: [RC] off the beaten path - drhopkins

Suzi,

Go to your county seat and ask someone for the Map Room or where the property
or township maps are.  This is also the room you'd go to, to get a new address
for a new build.  In Ohio you have to know what township you're in and it
helps if you know what section you're in.  I got maps of our section and all
the surrounding sections.  It lists the property owners, acreage and property
lines on the map.  From there, try the phone book.  I heard from a neighbor
that the guy across the street had alot of acreage and is only there on
weekends.  He also had an abandoned road on his property and trails for his
four wheelers.  I used the phone book, looked him up and asked.  He said no
problem.  I normally work weekends so riding there during the week worked out
great.  I also said I'd help to trim some of the taller limbs.  My horse is
great about me trimming branches off his back.  I've got another neighbor I
mean to call, but I'd have to cut a trail from my property to his and haven't
had time to think about that yet.  I had one neighbor who sees me riding on
the road tell me I could use a trail they have on their property.  It helps to
wave and stop and say hello.  My horse loves to visit with people.  If someone
says hello-he goes right over to them. BTW, all we have is hills around here,
great to train on, but a real pain when covered with ice!

Good Luck,
Anna

I've been tempted to stop when I see people driving out of the gate from
their ranch and ask permission to ride but have never been brave enough
t> o do it yet...I'd love to hear from someone who has, too before I dive
of> f and do it : )  There are several huge ranches with great hills just
dow> n the road from my house but no names on the mailboxes and short of
conta> cting a local realtor to see if they'll look them up on tax records I
don> 't know how to get in touch with the mystery people that live on the
hill>
Suzi and Holly who wants to go play on them thar hills...

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris