RE: [RC] [RC] confusion - Laurie Durgin

I just want to know if lateral flexion is the same as
moving the hip.  i assume it is.

Partly.In dressage( the small amount I have had and read, it is moving sideways or at an angle, shoulder fore, Shoulder in etc. Moving forward and sideways at the same time. (in other words, people often only think of moving a horse forward or back, which can make for a 'stiff' horse.)

also, i was
wondering if moving the hip is then the step before
making a "one-rein stop",

Pretty much, in John Lyons order. and on top of all that, how
exactly do you know if the horse is moving his hip?

He moves that leg, stepping under himself ususally or over.Hence, if you "control the hip" you control moving that leg, a change of direction, slows the horse ,at least momentarily, do it enough, they stop , the theory goes(this is really encapsulated.I really encourage you to get some reading by John Lyons, Clinton Anderson,(and I think Tom Dorrace or Ray hunt do it too,John Lyons mentioned Ray Hunt as someone he learned from.)

Furthermore, when you release your leg and rein to you
knee when the horse softens, do you let them go
straight again until you try it again?

I never take the rein back that far,cause I learned from John Lyons> he has you just pull the slack out of the rein till you get pressure and brace the rein against your pommel, as soon as they even tip their nose into the pressure , you drop the slack .Wait 2 seconds and repeat. Called a baby give. After repeating that alot, you can hold it slightly longer to get your turns.
(Later I add leg pressure first, then the rein so I have leg aids)
Yes, concentrate on each small step as you go.Then build on that (ask yourself, what is the next simple easy step. )John Lyons says don't start with your goal.(ie. I want horse to turn, so I pull his head into a turn). Identify the goal and see how many steps you can break it into and start from the first step. It should be something you horse can figure out without either of you 'losing it'. The shortest way to your goal is to take enough time.

Thanks...I'm just trying to comprehened all of this fundamental training! Ashlee