Re: [RC] [RC] LD rides and fatalities - Michael Maul

If the conditions are similar and the numbers are large - I'd expect the number of fatalities to go with the percentage of the population.

The completion rate for at least 8 years has been within 1% for LDs and 50 mile rides. While the distance is shorter for LDs - usually the riders and horses are less experienced/fit and younger than in a 50. The LD population is about 1/3 of the total rider entry now.

If you look at the completion rate even through 75 mile distances - you find that it's still high. This says to me that the stress of the length of the ride is not the biggest factor in causing problems for horses for distances of 60 miles or so. When you get to 100 mile rides - the completion rate drops dramatically and at least this year - the fatality rate is 5X the population. Note that there may also be a rider problem too as the rider gets more tired in a 100 mile ride.

Yes - we could list the DOB for the horse if the owner provided it. It would probably show that on the average LD horses are younger than those doing endurance. I looked at this briefly and didn't see a correlation but with small numbers like 11 - it's hard to get a correlation.

And yes - some of the material was difficult to obtain.

To me the most significant part of the data is showing how much more difficult 100 mile rides are for horse and rider.
In principle - we could have reduced our fatality rate by 27% by simply not holding 100 mile rides. And it would only affect 5% of our total rider entries.

I don't think that's the answer though. Our sport was founded on 100 mile rides and they represent a goal that characterizes endurance.

Mike

Howard Bramhall wrote:
I may not have stated what I meant to say clearly. I thought 4 out of the 11 total was high. I expected zero or one for the 25 milers out of the 11 total.

Is there any way to find out the age of these horses? I didn't see it anywhere on the information provided.

I am truly grateful to the members of the Welfare of the Horse Committee providing this information. I'm sure some of it was difficult to obtain.

We owe it to these horses to pursue this further. What have we learned from these deaths? What, if anything, are we going to do to try and prevent further ones from happening at our rides?

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle. ~ Bob Morris