RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] President's Cup - Laurie Durgin

I was thinking along those lines too. What percentage of our 'international competitiors' from the US. are professional or semi professional riders /breeders/trainers? (those who make money from endurance) And what perenctage just have a horse or two and it is just a hobby?('cuse me; passion)?

From: "Bob Morris" <bobmorris@xxxxxxxx>
To: "'Barbara McCrary'" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>,"'Nik Isahak Abdullah'" <drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] President's Cup
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:44:00 -0700

There is one aspect, in the comparison of the President's Cup type
competition and the competition as experienced elsewhere.

In the UAE and like societies, endurance competition, even owning a
horse for pleasure, is limited to the very upper levels of society. I
will be politically incorrect and state that, with minor exceptions,
only the rich can compete. In the USA and in OZ the "common man" can
compete and expect a chance win.

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and
in the past, exemplify the "common man" not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come too the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part
of the world.

That is, to me, the greatest reason to be part of the AERC and to extend
its principles.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises