Re: [RC] Canter/Trot-also sticky stuff for saddle - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Title: Re: [RC]   Canter/Trot-also sticky stuff for saddle
on 2/20/04 9:22 AM, Annie George at annie@xxxxxxx wrote:

Every horse I have had has a lower HR with the canter. Once they learn that we are not racing, but we are relaxing, they will go from canter to trot and back again. I will let them do that. But I slow for bad spots. It amazes me how many times I see people hard trotting thru a bad rocky spot.

I let my mare pick her pace which suits us both well. We have trails up here that are all rocks and she can trot or canter through no problem. Of course, these are trails she knows well-during a ride, I wouldn't let her mow through rocks like that. Here at home, with her full attention on me and the trail, OK. During a ride with the inherent distractions, I tend to give her more guidance through those kinds of areas.

I think it boils down to how well you know your horse and your abilities together. I started that mare myself and have been riding her for 5 years, that builds a strong partnership, and we have a high degree of trust in each other, not to mention just knowing what we can and can't do.

Also for someone who asked about the sticky stuff to stick you to your saddle, I saw a product today in the Dover catalog. It is called  B and E friction wax and is on sale for 9.60. Page 22.

Tiffany