[RC] Buying horses over the Internet - Barbara McCrary

One of our daughters, her husband and I all bought horses from the same ranch in Montana, sight unseen except for homemade videos.  The daughter's horse was the first, and she saw him advertised on an Internet auction site.  We are all happy with them.  I e-mailed the seller for some months before I bought mine, as I wanted to "get acquainted" with the sellers.  They were old-time ranchers and had been breeding horses for ages.  His father also bred horses for the Army Remount during WW2.  I came to trust their word.  The result is the horse I have recently described as being sensitive.  I have yet to enter him in a ride, as I've spent nearly two years legging him up and training.  Since he was a prairie-bred horse, our forest with huge trees have been real challenge to him.  He's done more climbing and more negotiating downed trees and limbs than.......well, they just don't have such things in east central Montana where he came from.  I won't know whether he'll be a good endurance horse until I try him out on a few rides, but then.....unless one buys a proven horse, one doesn't know whether he's going to be a good one until one tries.

I found I could judge the horse by the way he moved in the video almost as well as seeing him in person.  The price was right, the transportation to CA was not all that expensive, and I'm happy with the horse.  I didn't have a pre-purchase vet check because I trusted the seller.  That's something you can't always do, but I felt I am a fair judge of people, and I trusted these folks.

Barbara