[RC] More on President's Cup Discussion - KimFue

I thought I would add a few more comments on the discussions I have read on this topic on Ridecamp.

1. Endurance vs. Marathon - These races are endurance because they are over 50 miles long.  That is our organization's definition of endurance.  It really does not matter what the terrain or speed is.

2. Steph made the comment that that some of these top horses are peaked for specific races and are not campaigned over an entire season.  A very smart competitive strategy if your are going to race fast.  There are some riders here that do very few rides in a ride season and try to peak for a specific high profile ride.  There is a point that is detrimental to the horse when it is ridden to the extreme on either end of the scale, whether collecting miles or riding to win.  Our organization is very good at pointing out the negitive effects of speed on a horse but has not been very good about pointing out that pounding out high mileage year after year for the sake of high mileage milestones, ego, awards, can be detrimental also.

3. AERC emphasizes longevity over speed.  We honor 3,000 mile horses, 10 year horses, high mileage horses.  How does the average or above average horse attain longevity in this sport....moderate pacing.  This is probably what is best for the majority of endurance horses and the majority of AERC riders.  I doubt very much that there are a handful of horses that attain high mileage and can race the majority of their races at speed.  These horses are the exceptions not the rule.  Those riders that have done this successfully have the experience, knowledge, feel, and luck (to have found such a special horse).

4. Steph mentions the use of strategy in competition.  In my endurance experience, strategy is most effective when the terrain and elevation is varied.  On a flat course strategy, is not as important as the animals natural ability, speed, and fitness.  It would seem to me that on a flat course with the world's best riders and the top horses, the speed and the ability of the horse would factor in more then the experience or savvyness of the rider.

5. As I mentioned in my previous post, it seems that the AERC International community is trying to adopt new strategies to become more competitive (I don't mean participate) in international competition. I know they have picked a preliminary team two seasons before the next major event.  I think that riders that want to compete in this venue will have do a lot of specific type training for what ever high profile venue is coming up.  A horse that can win a rocky 100, a hilly 100,  may not be able to compete with horses that are trained and raced specifically on the flat.  I also agree that if the racing stables from the UAE (or any country for that matter) wanted to do well at Tevis they would send horses and riders to some of our most successful Tevis riders/trainers in the ride area and those horses would be trained specific to the race conditions for 6 months to a year.   Why wouldn't they do well?  I think one of the challenges that AERC International faces is to develop more support for these types of competitions when many in the general membership have problems with supporting this type of endurance racing.
6. Again, one of the fundamental differences is the way most AERC members approach endurance riding.  It is a hobby, a passion, a pass time, a social event, a competitive outlet.  Most AERC members do not manage their endurance horses like a racing stable  with hired help and trainers and a barn full of prospects.  Most of us do not approach our endurance riding like a business.  I don't know many riders that cull horses because they don't win.  Most riders I know enjoy the process of getting a horse to a certain point in competition as much as attaining the goal.  I think this is why it is so hard for many to reconcile the differences in the way endurance is "played" in different parts of the world.

7. If you feel that FEI is the highest standard/challenge of endurance racing then you have to learn to play a new game if you want to be competitive.  Where is this any different from those who say that the ultimate endurance challenge is the Tevis Cup, or those that feel the OD is the true endurance test.  We have these discussions all the time on ridecamp concerning the validity of the AERC Championship ride and how to crown our National Champions.