[RC] true horsemanship - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 8:28 AM
Subject: [RC] one rein stops- ashlee wakeman

  it is more than just an emergency brake, it is a very valuable tool that you can use to get your horse light, responsive, and willing in most any situation.

I agree 100% with Ed. It is very easy to get your horse to drop his head without a tiedown or martingale once he has learned to give to pressure. Teaching your horse lateral and vertical flexion does just that.

I had the pleasure of watching a true horseman last year. His name is Ray Hunt. The man just puts the reins in his hand and the horse drops his head, rounds up and is ready for work. Any work, under any circumstance. Mr. Hunt's actions, and his horse's, spoke much louder than words.

Mr. Hunt and his associate, Derek worked extensively with my boy Dinero for 4 days. While the experience was humbling for me, (Mr. Hunt kept pointing out how "spoiled" my boy was) it was an education of a lifetime. Out of all the horses there for horsemanship that had problems, (Dinero was in the colt starting class) Mr. Hunt never, ever once advocated the use of gimmicks. Instead, he re-iterated over and over again, start from the beginning. Take each step one at a time. If the horse is not ready for the next level, don't move on until he is. If you don't have the patience to do it right, don't do it at all. Let someone else who does, work your horse.

A few years ago I took my little Odd Todd to Cris Cox for a photo shoot with Genie. The article (it is in a Feb. issue of AHTime, not sure what year) was dealing with teaching your horse to give to pressure. Cris did things with Todd that were amazing. But Todd never really learned to back.Well, I didn't know how to teach him) When you put a hold on the reins, he would rear. Cris applied very little pressure and up Todd went. Chris didn't release until Todd did what he was suppose to. Even if it was just one step back.  After about 3 rears and 10 minutes, Todd was so soft and backing so beautifully, with his head in a nice position. He still does.

Mr. Hunt is coming again in April to Tom Curtain's place here in Florida. I would really like to take Dinero back for the horsemanship class to see if we have improved. I was so embarrassed at the last clinic that I still can't even talk about it ;\
However, I took my criticism seriously, (and also gelded the boy) and went from there. I would hope that Mr. Hunt would be pleasantly surprised at how well Dinero has done. All without gimmicks. I certainly don't know everything about training but I do try to follow the philosophies of Mr. Hunt, Leslie Desmond, and Bill and Tom Dorrance. (and Ed!) I also believe that their ideas cross over into any discipline of riding, including endurance. A fit, focused and relaxed horse can go all day. The rider doesn't do so bad either.

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd fArm