Re: [RC] One Rein Stop - The Farm

Hi,  I am not exactly sure how to post on this site...so here goes.

Yes, using one rein is more effective, WHEN done properly.  Simply circling
a horse does not get the hips to quit pushing the shoulders, the hip is
still driving the shoulders...and the horse may or may not slow down.  When
using the one rein effectively, we can use it for a simple stop or used to
keep the hips soft...no bucking, bolting, balking or rearing.  When used to
keep the horse soft it is used in conjunction with a jaw/body give this is a
proactive measure...when used in a spook, it is a reactive measure and body
give is not there first...but the further a horse/rider goes along in their
training it is and the spookiness, bolting etc. disappear.  The key is to
become an active rider versus a reactive rider.  Using two reins is really a
more advanced maneuver that requires the horse to disengage/engage the hips
underneath them instead of taking them to the side.  This is what probably
95% of the riding population fails to understand.  Most simply do as you say
and close their hands on the reins...and God steps in to save them.

Using martingales/tie downs or any other gimmicks is simply a band aid.  AND
a poor one at that.  Using these devices ACTUALLY hampers your ability to
use your reins effectively when wanting to deal with the hip.  The hip is
such a cool body part too...you can use it to start, stop, slow and turn a
horse...WITH maintaining softness...but with a martingale/tie down...forget
it.

To bridge the gap between getting the horse to yield his hip on one rein and
perform the same on two reins takes understanding a lot of extra steps along
the process.  Although it does not take long for the horse to learn...it
takes much longer for us humans to get it...

I do have an article on the hip, it is not on my website...I have lots that
are not there...is only so much time.  However there are many other articles
that deal with understanding the rudimentary giving, softness and what goes
on.  You can go:  www.tracy-porter.net   As I find time, I will try to put
hip articles and photos up.  Unfortunately, understanding the hip begins on
the ground with good ground control...so bypassing may or may not fill the
holes in a horses training.

During my rides...I do keep softness, change gaits, work on my horses legs
yielding in all sorts of directions, shoulders in, haunches in, lead
changes, gait transitions etc.  I also do ride along, but why waste all that
riding time...letting a horse ride strung out, stiff is not in my horses
best mental, physical and emotional best interests and well there is more
but I won't go there.  Of course, this is my opinion and of course I think I
am right!

Tracy

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb