Re: [RC] Thoughts on President's Cup - Truman Prevatt

Actually the US did very well in the Olympics before pros were let into the Olympics. Our track and field teams were still the best in the world as was our basketball and boxing team. We even beat the Russians in hockey in 1980 with college players.

Don't fool yourself we have runners who were in the military and their whole job was running. My track team mate in high school went to West Point and spent 20 years in the Army. He ran for West Point and he ran (that was his job in the Army) after he got out until he retired from active competition and then he coached and trained other runners. So like everything there are a lot of shades of gray.

Bottom line about the UAE's program is a good one. They can train good horses to be great horses and great horses to be spectacular horses. How long will these horses be on top? How long can a human marathoner run a 2:08 marathon - not very long.  Speed is fledging and a horse that can run a 7:20 100 is probably over the hill when his time falls to 8 hours. They may be at that level for a year or two and they have to find another job.

The UAE has raised the bar on endurance. Could one of these horses come over an win the Tevis or Big Horn. I suspect if they spent 6 months training in the environment and terrain got the right rider - I suspect it would run away with it. A great athletic at it's prime is awesome to behold and I think that's what the winner of the President's Cup is - a spectacular athletic peaked for the ride and awesome to behold.

After all our best were over there and ( not to take anything away from their effort ) got their clock cleaned.

Is this what I personally see in endurance? Nope, but if I were 25 years old, not so beat up from previous athletic endeavors, many pounds lighter and had a good horse - I'd sure give it a shot. There are alot of people that want to take a shot at the brass ring.  And the horses at this level are something to behold.

Truman

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:
      This type of racing doesn't effect me as an individual rider here in the US because I do not want to support this kind of endurance racing by participating or selling a horse that would be ridden in this type of ride. But I would hope in the future that information gained in training, research, feeding, etc. would be shared with the entire endurance community and therefore we could all benefit from the millions spent on endurance racing in the UAE.   The situation with the US sending teams  to compete internationally against horses/riders with access to the best of the best and where $$$ is no problem is a little like the US Olympic teams competing with the USSR teams in the 1970s and early 1980s where the USSR athletes were chosen/culled at a young age and then could completely concentrate on training for their given sport with complete sponsorship from a government with no spending limits on their athletes or their needs.  I know were are not talking "government sponsorship" in endurance riding but I am sure you can see my analogy.  Some may not think this is fair but on a smaller scale we deal with this in our local endurance riding community.  Some riders can afford better horses, rigs, tack, and most of all, have more time to train.  Some riders can afford to go to more rides and can take more time off work.  The list goes on and on.

Kim
AERC #6648