[RC] Tevis this year - sandy . l . holder

Hi all,

My goal for the last 3 years is to ride Tevis on my own horse.  Since Tally was rescued 2 1/2 years ago, we've been through a lot of challenges and are still learning.  Feet, saddle, weight (200 lbs. under originally), teeth, saddle fit (yeah, two saddles in two years), electrolytes . . we've gone through LOTS of challenges.  Great mentors have helped - friends, vets and acquaintances.  First season - the first half of his first LD about 'finished' ME, the second half, I saw his potential.  Last year we moved up to a couple of 50's at the end of the year, one was great, the second I OVER e-lyted him (1:1 calcium to magnesium ratio e-lytes DO NOT work).  This year we're moving to our own place (next week - yippi) but we haven't had time to train even half of what we did last year, although we've been doing dressage lessons to strengthen his weakest link - his back, and make me a better rider.  Our goal this year is to do a 2 day 50 or 4 days of 25's (targeting for Death Valley so we have some time) and if all goes well, next year we'll move up to higher mileage.  There are a lot of horses that could go through the increased mileage faster, particularly since he's turning 15, but my boy is 'the nervous type' so we really have to take it slower to get his mind into the right frame - and I have a lot to learn still.

The reason for my e-mail is that I'd like to help crew someone for Tevis this year.  I'd like to continue learning the "do and do not" things because before I ever did my first LD, I crewed for almost an entire season the year before.  I learned what happens when a horse 'crashes' - and almost dies, but for the grace of God. Not mine, but it taught me how much I didn't know and specifically what I didn't want to EVER happen to my horse.

So let me know if you're interested.  By the way, I'm 'over the hill' according to my kids (over 40 - and picking up speed), financially stable (means I work full time to support my college kids and my horse habit) and strong - mind and will.  You can e-mail me privately or on ridecamp, just let me know but I look forward to it.

Take care,
sandy