Re: [RC] President's Cup - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Mmm. I'm impressed by the horses' ability to cope with the extreme demands placed on them by the UAE version of endurance, but less than impressed by the logic that dictates such demands. If horses were motorcycles and it were just a matter of tinkering with this setting or that, or changing this part, or taking them apart when they break down and putting them back together better, I'd be happier with the Gulf scenario.

But they aren't motorcycles and I see the bottom side of this food chain. The UAE have fantastic resources to be able to buy and train vast numbers of endurance horses...so what happens in places without these resources? Like Egypt? The answer isn't pretty. I see people running through horse after horse even during a single season trying to emulate the light speeds racked up by the UAE stables, where no single horse is ever going to bear the brunt of the intensive training to achieve these speeds.

I have Steph, Jackie Bumgardner, Tracy Bilaud, and Merri Mielde arriving in Cairo on the 24th to help run a 40 km (25 mile) ride to Dahshur for a bunch of local riders who need to be shown that endurance isn't just turning sand into glass from the heat of your horses' passing feet. I wish that they were coming in a couple of days earlier because I just found out that there is an FEI/EEF 110 km race on the 23rd. The only rider that I know here to have ridden the same horse for four years, a stubborn Canadian, Cindy, will take part in that and then join us for the 40 km a few days later. It's pretty hard to believe what goes on if you don't see it.

And I don't think that Egypt is the exception in the developing endurance world. I'm sure that Syria isn't much different, nor is Tunisia, nor is Poland. Riders who are aiming at the UAE heights from the ground floor are going to be climbing a lot of horse bones to hit the top floor.

Cynically as ever,
Maryanne