Re: [RC] barn ideas - Karen Sullivan

Few more thoughts on this barn stuff....

Yes, make the barn pad higher than reccomended.....mine was rolled,
compressed road base.
It has held up pretty well for 10 years, but i wish it had been twice a
thick.

My original barn was breezeway, two stalls, tackroom and hay storage.  When
I got more
horses (that always happens!), I built a separate metal hay barn (probably
36 x 40) with an
attatched feed room.  I turned the tack room into the barn into another
stall (which can be
totally inclosed, making it dark if you have a horse with a hurt eye).
Then, had a stall front
put on the open hay storage area, making another stall....and extended the
entire back of the
barn to 12 X 36 for a huge run in area....so can shelter 7 horses (which is
what i was up to once!).

It is very nice to have separate stalls for feeding....and bad weather.  The
run in area is much easier
to clean with a little tractor with scraper.  Once you have box stalls, you
are doomed to shoveling
by hand!
Karen

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM