[RC] Presidents Cup, quiet days - Steph Teeter

The last two days have been pretty mellow. I went out to the stables in the
morning alone, Leonard and family sleeping after returning from the airport
around 2am. Turned out Arazi, cleaned the stall, did the Steward/Vet stuff
(temperature, blood drawn) organized the tack and feed a little, took Arazi
for a walk. Arazi is a real spooker so I'm opting to hand-walk him rather
than ride him (I can just see me on the ground, Arazi disappearing into the
desert). I've watched him with Leonard, don't know how the man can stay on.
I stopped by the camel souk again on the way home, this time to a different
shop. The men didn't speak any english though so it was a bit akward.
Fortunately a fellow came in (I think he was a vet for the camel track) that
helped and I left with a beautiful blanket for 30dh (around $8). I need to
control myself though - the gorgeous camel reins and headstalls (Andrea -
where are you??) Last time I was here I had to buy another set of luggage,
in addition to packing the horse trunks full(er).

Last night the OC invited all the riders for a night at the Arabian race
track, VIP lounge, Arab hospitality. I missed this adventure though - had
decided to go into Abu Dhabi for some shopping and left just before they
announced the invitation. Sounded like a nice time though. Racing is very
big here - both Arabian horses and camels. Endurance is also a very big -
National - sport. After my evening shopping (mostly window shopping and
walking along the shops) I took a taxi back to the hotel. The driver was
Lebanese, working in Abu Dhabi, supporting his family back in Beirut. He
goes home 2 months out of the year, works in UAE the rest of the time. This
is fairly common I think since employment opportunities are so great here -
in the land of tourism and growth. When I told him I was here for an
Endurance ride he knew exactly which ride I was talking about, and spoke
excitedly of all the riders and races and winners. Just like a taxi driver
back home would speak of the NBA or NFL. Amazing! Endurance is a very big
deal here.

This morning at breakfast I met up with Bob Beecher DVM - who is vet and
chef d'equip for the US riders. He followed me out to the stable (it's a
pretty complicated journey). Skip Lightfoot and Jeremy Reynolds arrived
yesterday, so Heather's entire contingent is here. Gary Luck is still on his
own with Mommesin, but Nicole and Alyx are due to arrive tonight. Valerie
Kanavy and crew are due in tomorrow I think. All the US horses look good.

Lots of other folks are arriving - there was a table of Brazilians this
morning, though I didn't get any names. Some familiar looking faces though.
Hopefully we'll have a formal list of riders/horses tomorrow and I can post
it on the web. There will probably be around 60-80 riders total. Most of the
invited foreign riders understand that it's very difficult to really compete
with the locals - who live and train here - and are going to do their best,
mostly hoping for a strong completion, and determined to be gracious and
enjoy the invitation.

I was talking with Bob at the US barn this morning, he said that they are
planting and irrigating millions (literally) of trees along the coast and
towards the inland. Simply to create a micro-climate. They are investing the
water, to create a forest, to encourage more natural moisture, to grow more
trees, ... Absolutely amazing.

Steph