Re: [RC] Rabies, dog foaming at mouth - heidi

I can tell you to open the dog's mouth and look for a wedged
object, possibly a bone between the molar arcades at the roof
of the mouth but it could be anything anywhere.

I have had this happen with both dogs and horses.  Pop the thing
loose, the slobbering stops and everything is back to normal.

For what it is worth I think the slobbering is the body's way of
softening the object.

This is certainly a possibility, and I already e-mailed Angie privately
with the other one that would concern me--which is acute pancreatitis.

With the above, the "reason" for salivation is a combination of the
stimulus of having something in the mouth and the inability to swallow
properly because of the foreign body.

Pancreatitis can cause salivation just because the whole digestive process
is put awry.  In addition it can be VERY painful--which could cause the
rigid stance, the not associating normally with the owner, and the
reluctance to do much of anything.  Mild cases of pancreatitis may be
weathered fine, but it CAN be a potentially fatal emergency as well.  The
main culprit causing pancreatitis is a fat overload--bacon grease, butter,
fat trimmings from the family meat, etc. are all common culprits.

Heidi