[RC] Rabies, dog foaming at mouth - rides2far

I've got a couple of questions. There's been several cases of rabies in
our area in the past year, (2 in my county) so I had my horses
innoculated last year for the first time. The dogs & cat always get it
yearly.

Last night I heard loud scuffling noises on our wooden porch and thought
the dogs were playing. After awhile I looked out and my Australian
Shepherd was standing there sort of frozen in place with her hind legs
spread wide and rigid. I thought she was staring at some animal and since
I'd smelled a skunk on the place yesterday I eased out to check. She
ignored me at first as if she were on point (she's one who's all over you
the second she sees you). Then when she turned to look at me she was
drooling badly (something she never does).  She had strings of saliva
hanging down and was wet all around her mouth. She seemed stiff in the
rear end. My first thought was, "Oh no, did she had a seizure?" That's
something that can happen with Aussies, but none of my dogs (5
generations I've bred) has ever had epilepsy and this dog is 8 years old
with no previous problems. There were no "varmits" out there and she
seemed to sort of relax and start to walk around but she was very quiet.
I know picking up a toad make one foam at the mouth but it's too cold for
toads.

This morning it was cold and raining. I went out for firewood and this
same dog was standing in the rain with her back to me 10' away and didn't
notice me at first. When she turned there was the profuse saliva *again*.
She acted fairly normal but a bit less enthusiastic than usual. This is
giving me the creeps.

I had a fridge cleaning day 2 days ago and they've had some pretty rich
stuff. Poured a cup of grease over dog food and shared between 2, and
gave them probably each a pound of cooked chicken that had gotten a
little old yesterday. It made me nervous but I ran my fingers all around
her gums and over the roof of her mouth checking for a bone. (washed
twice with anti-bacterial soap afterwards). She's not coughing at all.

Just now when I went out to feed she still had a string of saliva hanging
on both sides of her mouth, not to mentioned looped over her nose. She
wasn't playful but did her her "chores". She went every step I went as I
fed, carefully keeping her body between the ponies & me as I put out hay
giving the ponies the "behave yourselves" look. As she stood there
looking at me her lips started trembling slightly snarlish (but eyes
remained soft) and you could just see the saliva kind of foaming up on
her. She does not gag or cough, it's more like acid reflux or something.
I saw her drinking water, from a couple of different buckets (which my
horses drink from by the way).

Any suggestions? Too cold for snakes or toads. I don't know of any rat
poison anywhere. No anti-freeze sitting around...and just for further
reference, how long is a rabies shot good for horses? I've heard a dog's
shot is actually good for a couple of years and this dog had shots in
April of last year. Can a dog OD on bacon grease and if so what can you
do to help them out?

Angie and Truly / AKA Cujo Jr.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!