Re: [RC] Rabies, dog foaming at mouth - Chris Paus

gosh, Angie.. I've heard from vets and vet techs that
the rabies vaccine is supposed to be  99.9 percent
effective, so there's very little chance that it's
rabies if her vaccinations are up to date...

I don't know about bacon grease. One of my dogs once
helped her self to a full pound of butter off the
counter! She was feeling rather poorly for  a couple
of days.. her symptoms were different.. she just layed
around a lot and wasn't interested in food.

I guess I'd take her to the vet. That's scary!

chris
--- rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I've got a couple of questions. There's been several
cases of rabies in
our area in the past year, (2 in my county) so I had
my horses
innoculated last year for the first time. The dogs &
cat always get it
yearly.

Last night I heard loud scuffling noises on our
wooden porch and thought
the dogs were playing. After awhile I looked out and
my Australian
Shepherd was standing there sort of frozen in place
with her hind legs
spread wide and rigid. I thought she was staring at
some animal and since
I'd smelled a skunk on the place yesterday I eased
out to check. She
ignored me at first as if she were on point (she's
one who's all over you
the second she sees you). Then when she turned to
look at me she was
drooling badly (something she never does).  She had
strings of saliva
hanging down and was wet all around her mouth. She
seemed stiff in the
rear end. My first thought was, "Oh no, did she had
a seizure?" That's
something that can happen with Aussies, but none of
my dogs (5
generations I've bred) has ever had epilepsy and
this dog is 8 years old
with no previous problems. There were no "varmits"
out there and she
seemed to sort of relax and start to walk around but
she was very quiet.
I know picking up a toad make one foam at the mouth
but it's too cold for
toads.

This morning it was cold and raining. I went out for
firewood and this
same dog was standing in the rain with her back to
me 10' away and didn't
notice me at first. When she turned there was the
profuse saliva *again*.
She acted fairly normal but a bit less enthusiastic
than usual. This is
giving me the creeps.

I had a fridge cleaning day 2 days ago and they've
had some pretty rich
stuff. Poured a cup of grease over dog food and
shared between 2, and
gave them probably each a pound of cooked chicken
that had gotten a
little old yesterday. It made me nervous but I ran
my fingers all around
her gums and over the roof of her mouth checking for
a bone. (washed
twice with anti-bacterial soap afterwards). She's
not coughing at all.

Just now when I went out to feed she still had a
string of saliva hanging
on both sides of her mouth, not to mentioned looped
over her nose. She
wasn't playful but did her her "chores". She went
every step I went as I
fed, carefully keeping her body between the ponies &
me as I put out hay
giving the ponies the "behave yourselves" look. As
she stood there
looking at me her lips started trembling slightly
snarlish (but eyes
remained soft) and you could just see the saliva
kind of foaming up on
her. She does not gag or cough, it's more like acid
reflux or something.
I saw her drinking water, from a couple of different
buckets (which my
horses drink from by the way).

Any suggestions? Too cold for snakes or toads. I
don't know of any rat
poison anywhere. No anti-freeze sitting around...and
just for further
reference, how long is a rabies shot good for
horses? I've heard a dog's
shot is actually good for a couple of years and this
dog had shots in
April of last year. Can a dog OD on bacon grease and
if so what can you
do to help them out?

Angie and Truly / AKA Cujo Jr.

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno
SpeedBand!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
today!