Re: [RC] Jack Russell Terrors - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 2/15/2004 7:48:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, harrytmdh@xxxxxxxxx writes:

It takes a very dedicated and
PATIENT person to own a JR.

This is very true.  JRTs take alot of training when they're young and impressionable....if you take the time, they are great little dogs.  I'm sure there are outlaws who remain untrainable no matter what you do.  My neighbors had a golden retriever like that and Goldens are known for being smart and sweet.  This one was stupid and mean....it happens in all breeds of dogs.

When I got my Jack Russell (I guess he'd be called a Parson's now) the breeder had me go to several websites and read about them including the rescue site.  She also made me promise that I would crate train him and take him to obedience class.  When he was still very small I broke him of any desire to chase cats by bringing him over to my friend's place to meet the biggest, baddest, meanest barn cat anybody has ever met (he's fought with a Coyote and won).  After a thorough cat slapping Sage (my JRT) decided that cats are not to be messed with and he has never unlearned that lesson.  He will chase if they run, but if he catches one, he has no idea what to do with it.  He is, however, a rodent hunting machine and I don't have so much as one mouse in my hay barn.  It seemed like when Sage moved in the gophers who were wrecking our lawn moved out....maybe he killed them or maybe they just heard about how bad terriers were <g>.  He's also great around the horses, but that too took training when he was just a pup.

I love my Jack Russell, but they definitely do require a commitment or you end up with a Jack Russell Terrorist instead :)~

Sylvia