RE: [RC] Whats New with SERA - password safety - David LeBlanc

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Sofen
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 8:41 AM
To: 'Ride Camp'
Subject: RE: [RC] Whats New with SERA - password safety

I would discount the notion of changing your passwords
frequently.

This depends on the context the password is being used under.

changing only protects you if your password has been
compromised.  If you use online banking, you'll know it
pretty quickly because your account is empty.

Maybe, maybe not. When I test someone's network security, I gather as many
passwords as possible. I don't use most of them - I leave them aside in case
someone changes the one that I am using, or detects something going on with
that account. In the case of online banking, I might log into your account
for a year until a transaction large enough to interest me comes in, and
THEN zap you. Maybe I know when your bonus shows up. If you change passwords
regularly, it reduces the exposure. Unless you engage in password
incrementing - "Password1" becomes "Password2", or "PasswordFeb" becomes
"PasswordApr". About 1/4 to 1/3 of all people engage in password
incrementing, and if you're one of those, I'll have your password forever.

Otherwise,
there's not much happening.  If you allow an ecommerce site
(like Amazon) to store your credit card info and someone
hacks your Amazon password then they could go shopping with
your money.  Routinely changing your password doesn't
decrease the chances of it being compromised, it only
decreases your potential exposure once it HAS been
compromised...if you use a weak password and a site is hacked
you WILL be a victim.

Let's say you used Windows 98, someone else in your family double-clicked on
the wrong mail, and some punk now has all your passwords. You then go buy a
spiffy new computer, and transfer your files (sans the password sniffer). If
you never change passwords, the punk still has your passwords.

However, all bank and legit ecommerce sites have hacker
detection software running and monitor for multiple failed
attempts to login.  For the most part, these sites are quite
safe.  Not so well known are the internal security flaws that
would allow a senior software engineer to swipe a bunch of
credit card data from the company and sell it...that's
happened quite a few times.  Again, the legit sites have
internal controls that largely prevent this from happening.

The software engineer is typically less of a threat than an underpaid system
admin. Another very severe problem is people getting into the network from
outside. Lots of networks are not all that hard to get into from outside if
you work at it.

Most of these sites are quite safe, and the safeguards in the credit card
system protect you when things do fail.

Create 2 complex passwords and alternate them perhaps yearly.
 Anything else, in my opinion, is statistically irrelevant.

This is a really, really bad practice. I have personally seen it cause huge
problems. At Microsoft, we don't allow anyone to use the same password for a
cycle of 24 passwords (about 4 years). It does, of course, depend on what
you're protecting. For example, Amazon doesn't have any of my credit card
numbers saved, and I don't change that password. Passwords that grant access
to really important things, like my employer's intellectual property, get
changed to something different every time.