[RC] Dually inquiry -- thanks!! - Sue Brown

Thanks to the many people who responded to my dually question.  Because of the great responses, we were able to make a much more informed decision – one that I feel will be the best for us in the long run.

Most of our travel to the rides will be in “Gertie”, our older Class A motorhome (older but with a new 454 V8 engine this last year and beefed up frame, suspension, and towing capabilities.)  The RV is a dually and we have experienced the travel and parking issues mentioned in several of the notes – altho we have not noticed big problems with mud and have not yet driven it in much snow (which will probably not happen soon since Aarene does most of the driving and I can tell you very definitely what she thinks of snow!! <bg>)  Despite the RV’s length (29’), the turning radius is not as bad as you would expect.  Gertie sits parked behind the arena between rides and is not used for anything other than travel to rides, a meeting spot for all of us here, and a nicely private extra bedroom for overnight guests.

The new truck will replace my van so I would have to drive it on a near daily basis for a while (a year or so) until we can add a car or small SUV to the line-up.  We are keeping our older 3/4t. truck to be used for hauling barn supplies, mulch, other “dirty” items.  It has been a great truck but has upwards near 200k miles on it (we bought it new)...and it’s time for it to get a break from hauling horses a couple of times a week to our training rides.  Our caretaker is buying the van.

So here is what we are getting...and it should be here (on the property) next Wed., our 20th wedding anniversary...and it is definitely being considered our anniversary present to each other!

Chevy 2004 Silverado fully-loaded LT, 1 ton, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 (with a molded canopy that will make it look like a long Suburban), with the new turbo diesel engine and Allison tranny, silver birch in color...and we have opted to *not* get the dually.  Since our plans in the future include a 5th wheel RV and not a camper, we felt the issues of me driving it daily would outweigh the need for the extra wheels.  And the best part is we were able to get it with the 0% interest loan!!

Again...thanks to all who responded.  I forwarded all of the messages to my hubby and we both came to the same conclusion.  And Steve, being a good Texan, is absolutely delighted with the prospect of finally having his “Cowboy Cadillac”!!

Sue

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

                      [unknown]

Sue Brown

Marysville, Wa.

suebrown1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx