[RC] RE:Scratched - Carol

Julie wrote:
<Interestingly enough, when this horse was pastured the <scratches went
<away. He had never been pastured 24/7 until boarded at my <place.
<Perhaps it was a sensitivity to the chips used as bedding? I <don't
<know... but it was nice to see him comfortable.

I'm wondering since this seems to only happen when the horse is stalled, maybe the horse's skin is actually sensitive to the ammonia and urea that's gets mixed in with the bedding when it urinates?  Kind of like a baby would get a diaper rash from being in a wet diaper. When the horse is in the pasture it's moving around and not standing in constant contact with the urine soaked bedding. Just a thought...
Carol