Re: [RC] [CTR] Preriding Tevis trail and continuing journal - bkwranch

Hi Beth and all interested, we lived WAY too far away to have gone out
three weeks ahead for pre-riding the Tevis trail when Ken rode it last
year.  We were lucky that the 4th of July holiday was the week before the
ride, so Ken was able to combine holiday and a few vacation days to get
out there and do some pre-riding.  We left Craig after he got off work the
afternoon of Thursday the 2nd and drove to Wendover, UT.  We goofed around
there, stayed at a KOA and swam, and left Friday mid-morning and drove on
to Reno, stayed at a private stable there (can you believe that we didn't
gamble at either place?  true story!) We went on in to Auburn on the 4th,
and spent the rest of that day and the next getting ourselves and Summer
settled in, getting shavings, some extra hay, fly traps, etc....On Sunday,
Sue and Myron Flagg came over and we drove up to Foresthill...she brought
an extra horse for me and we rode to Francisco's and then up to Driver's
Flat where dear, patient Myron was waiting and took Ken and Matt Baker up
to get our trailers.  What a wonderful day and ride that was, so I can at
least say I've ridden  SOME of the trail.
We goofed around on Monday, washed some clothes, went out to lunch, and
then on Tuesday, Ken, Matt, and Roxann rode the horses to the river and
back from the fairgrounds.  Wednesday was a very nice bbq but if you are
not from that area and/or don't know anybody, it made you feel like you
were an orphan at a family reunion.
Thursday morning we left for Robie Park and were able to get a very nice
camping spot for all of us together.  Gary and Linell who were helping me
crew also came in early Thursday afternoon and we cooked steaks that
night, no wine or beer though, I had cut everybody off the night before
because I didn't want anybody dehydrated...I made them all drink so much
water that they were floating around in the woods :-))
Friday morning was really busy with check-in of the horses, and that
afternoon, they took the horses out to ride the first four or five miles
of the start...I thought that was a pretty good idea since you are riding
the start in the dark for about 30-45 min...good for the horses to know
that trail also...Friday afternoon was the briefing, very short and sweet,
again like "old home week" and I was a little nervous since so much of it
was directed to those who were already familiar with the trail (does that
ring a bell for any NATRC ride managers who have put on rides for a long
time?)
In answer to your last question, I gave Ken two Tylenol PM and he slept
like the dead...I and the crew got up at 2:30 am to take care of the
horses.
Ken wanted to saddle Summer himself, which I thought was a pretty good
idea, nobody knows how you want everything to fit like you do...
We had everything around the trailer cleaned up, packed up, riders up and
fed a light breakfast, and pulled out at 3:45 am ...I thought it would be
easier to drive on down to Auburn and drop the rigs off there (we had
three of them) and then drive back up to Robinson Flat...we did make it to
Robinson Flat about an hour before our riders, but I felt very rushed and
stressed getting everything ready...and WHAT a crowd!  This year the rig
is going down to Foresthill, unhook the truck and head to Robinson...after
Robinson there is plenty of time to wait at Foresthill and with the rig
there, our crew can turn on the generator, take a shower, nap,
whatever....MUCH better...
This year with Ken's work schedule, we will have to go straight to Robie
but are planning to make it there Wednesday evening, have Thursday to rest
a bit and make a run with our crew down to Robinson, Foresthill, and
Auburn, pick up hay and get the stalls ready, and take a ride on Friday to
loosen ourselves and the horses up...if we can work it to get in there
Tuesday night, it will be better, but that's the plan right now....
Hope I didn't run on too long (it is a "journal" after all and all of you
know where the delete button is if you aren't interested)
ttyl
Betty Wolgram (who rode 3-1/2 hours yesterday in 15 degrees, frozen snow,
horse did great, took me two hours to thaw out!)

I am currently on the list to ride in the Tevis race and very excited to
be looking toward that goal.

My question is how should I go about preriding some of the trail?  I
live in Southern Oregon.  I see they have a fun ride in May, and was
wondering if that is a good time to meet some folks and check it out.
Can I rent stalls in Auburn and spend a few days?  The Tevis site
recommends preriding about 3 weeks prior to the ride.  Is that a better
time than in May?

Also, is arriving on Thursday evening before the ride an O.K. time to
get there?  Since I haven't seen the park, I wondered about the space
issues with that many people.

Lastly, if it is already difficult to go to sleep at night because of
consuming thoughts of the competition, how does one sleep the night
before the ride?

Here's hoping my horse and I stay sound till then,

Beth Bliss (certified crazy and out of my league per husband) and
Corduroy Knickers (1/2 Arab, 1/2 Mustang).

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/