Re: [RC] abcesses that take a long time to heal. - Chris Paus

That is definitely a case of bad shoeing... shoes too
short to fit the horse... a case of feet being jammed
into the shoes rather than the shoes fitting the
horse... bad results just as if you or I were to tromp
around in shoes two sizes too small.

I've got a gelding named Zab who had the most unusual
gait when I got him. My farrier screamed when he saw
this horse. He said, they put hind shoes on this
horse's front feet! The poor horse was walking around
with four back feet. We gave him a year without shoes
to regrow his feet and now they are great again.

My horse Star has worn shoes for most of his life.
They are removed in the winter so he doesn't slip and
slide in the snow and then put back on in the spring.
His farrier is very careful and we've never had
underslung, underrun heels. It's all in the way it's
done! My farrier takes a long time to do a shoeing
job.. he'll never squeeze a dozen customers in one
day.. he works too slowly. But he makes sure it's
right and right for the horse. People stop me at rides
to talk about my horse's feet, they look so good!

part of it is genetic, this horse has great feet. Part
of it is his farrier who is conscientious and fits the
shoes to the horse, not the other way around.

I'm continually amazed at the people who don't pay
attention to feet when breeding horses. My 4YO mare
who will be starting her career this spring in CTR,
has awesome feet. The farrier said it would be a shame
to put shoes on her, so I'm going to see if we can
ride without them. But if it doesn't work, I  know
he'll be careful and her feet will be just fine and
not damaged by shoes.

You'd think with all the problems people have with
hooves in this sport, they'd pay more attention to
feet when they are buying or considering a horse for
endurance.

chris

--- LTYearwood@xxxxxxx wrote:

That seems to be where Sunny, given his past
history
of bad shoeing, is at.
Wen his shoes were removed 4 months ago his heels
were so underslung that the
heelpoints reached the midpoint of his frogs.

Lori

Lori

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus