Re: [RC] The Nutritional Value of Grass after frost. - Sisu West Ranch

Come up to the Bitterroot and look at our horses, and our neighbor's horses.  As is quite common here, they are out on pasture, 3 months after the first frost.  They are fat, healthy and sassy!  I don't know where this idea started, but there are a lot of fat horses here that are counter examples.

It may have come from observation of skinny horses in overgrazed pastures where there wasn't any grass left.  Our pasture may, for all I know, be much lower in nutrition per mouthful than it was in the summer, but there apparently are enough mouthfuls out there to keep them happy and fat.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875