Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Nancy Mitts

Joe,

There is no end to the scenarios that would have a negative impact on the sport and legal ramifications. Okay, say we don't allow children below edge X to ride. Now the thread is already moving on to the kids left in camp. Okay, so now AERC better have a rule in writing that you can't bring a kid below X to the ride without an adult "sponsor" in camp.
We can still run over someone else's kid who's just on a trail ride, or hiking, so we better find closed courses.
Someone else mentioned what would happen to the kid if their parent/sponsor was seriously injured. So, we better not let parents of young children enter rides either. And, OMG just think if a pregnant rider was seriously injured and lost the baby? Better ban pregnant women, too. What if she stays in camp, but her husband and sole support is injured. That baby can sue!!!
The list just goes on and on and on and on like this thread.

The point is, we can't legislate good parenting, or any type of "common" sense behavior. Once we start, where do we stop? And playing up the "extremely dangerous sport" angle will have nothing but negative repurcussions for all.
Nancy Mitts

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=