[RC] An Endurance Riders Christmas Story... - Deborah Leone

...I was in an accident yesterday and am pretty banged up (nothing is broken ...which is a miracle)...I was out riding our two horses with my 10 year old daughter Milan. We were riding in the tomato fields south of Via De La Valle in Del Mar Caliornia and trying to find a path under the freeway that would take us to the beach. We decided to follow the San Diegieto River bed that flows out to Dog Beach in Del Mar. The trail we were walking on was sandy ground next to the water when we came to a slight dip and the footing appeared to be dirt. My horse Riley stepped into the dirt and sank down to his chest which threw me over his head onto the ground. Riley was scrambling to get his balance and get out of the 'quick sand' and ended up right on top of me. I remember seeing his hoof push off my chest and thinking 'this is not good'. I looked over to see Milan and her horse, Prince scrambling to get out of the same situation. Milan managed to stay on and she held on for dear life as her horse who took off after Riley. I laid there in the dirt and sand for a while until I got my breath back and pulled my cell phone out to call for help. I took a couple of deep breathes thinking that I must have broken some ribs but was amazed that though very sore and bruised up I seemed to be relatively ok. I couldn't see Milan or the horses but I heard Milan crying for me so I slowly rolled over and got onto my feet. She had managed to get Prince under control and stopped which caused Riley to stop a little farther off. Milan had just seen me trampled underneath my horse and was very concerned if I was OK. I tried to reassure her as I was able to catch Riley and pull myself back up on him and we rode back to the barn. The friend I called on my cell phone met us at the barn and helped Milan put the horses away and drove Milan and I home. Nothing like a Sunday stroll through the park!

I am here reclined at my desk with ice on my neck and a heating pad on my back, ,my computer on my lap and a bottle of water and Tylenol and speaker phone all within reaching distance. Needless to say I don't think it will be a day out in the field for me. Seriously, I feel so grateful that it wasn't terribly worse and the fact that I am sitting here alive and able to work is nothing short of miraculous. Oh it's a wonderful life!

I am truly thankful ...Merry Christmas!
Deborah J Leone