[RC] Hoof photos - DreamWeaver

   What would be interesting and informative would be Photographs done on
seasoned , 1000 mile +  horses , at rides maybe? Of their feet, I already
look at their comformation--- (although , say, what about comformation with
hoof pictures)

It sounds easier than it is to actually do it. First of all, you'd need to get everybody to take the same exact photos the same way, or you are just going to have a bunch of photos that don't really mean anything because they aren't consistent. I have taken a lot of photos of the conformation on high mileage horses, and about all I can say is that you might learn just as much taking photos of their riders conformation. :-) It would take a lot more study to learn if there really are any commonalities between these horses. I think the common bond that links them may have just as much to do with their rider, as well as the horses own drive, determination, and ability.

I've got some albums up from the last year showing Ground Control shoes, which also show my horses feet in a lot of different views. I'll post the links below. I'm not sure I'm ready to call Chief a high mileage horse yet......tho he does have 25 or 2600 miles now. He's still just getting started, but obviously capable and has fair conformation and good feet which probably had a lot to do with him going so far this year. My other two horses have 6000 and 7000 miles each and don't have as good of feet, so just because a horse doesn't have the best _insert whatever_ doesn't mean that they can't still do well in endurance, it just takes more careful management. It is a lot easier doing a lot of miles on a horse that has good feet, and of course travels in a way that doesn't beat themselves up, that's probably the whole issue really -- good feet won't mean a thing if a horse travels in a way that is hard on them (and the rider), and not so great feet aren't such a bad thing perhaps if the horses do travel well. anyway, here are some of the albums I have posted, if you click on each photo you can see comments.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nvrider Click on "Ground Control Horseshoes". also, there is an album called "Death Valley Encounter". That was the first multiday Chief did with the Ground Controls on, 4 days/200 miles. He's the grey horse with the purple party hat (New Years Eve!).

http://community.webshots.com/user/nvrider2 Click on "GC shoes after Cold Springs". That was the first 5 day/250 mile multiday ride that I did on Chief with the GC shoes.

http://community.webshots.com/user/groundcontrolshoes This is an album with photos from myself and others showing their success and failures with the shoes. If anybody else would like to submit photos I'll be happy to put them up.

Now that I have had a horse in the shoes for a year, and a lot of rides and miles, I still like them and will probably alternate between using them and using metal shoes with easyboots. I never experienced any of the problems reported on the internet with any of my horses with the shoes. I feel that ultimately, the best solution that I have found for my horses is metal shoes with easyboots foamed on, especially for the rocky 4 and 5 day rides. I know that there is increased weight, but my horses have adapted well and I cannot say that they are lame or have any problems caused by this combination. I like the total hoof protection that this gives, and also the fact that it leaves me with options at a ride. If I lose an easyboot, I can put another one on. If I lose a shoe, I can put an easyboot on (or foam one on). If I have a problem with a GC shoe, I better have farrier tools with me and/or a farrier in camp, and can't put an easyboot on over it.

Karen
in NV
http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/