RE: [RC] Goethe - Laurie Underwood

Hi Beth:

My horse was Grade 1 40 miles into our first 50 ... and I had plenty of
time to walk that last 10 miles.  God bless Kathy Eichelberger.  She
left the decision up to me, a very green and wet-behind-the ears rider
who wanted very badly to complete her first 50.  I hemmed and hawed, but
when I finally asked her if she would take her horse back out Grade 1
with a very rooty mountain 10 miles to go, she said "no".  Turns out I
had a shoeing issue which was causing a sore suspensory .... going back
out might have gotten me completed or might have gotten me a lame horse
for a long time.  And I learned a valuable lesson -- always put your
horse first.

The bottom line is this:  if your horse is off, you need to do what is
right.  Sometimes the vets don't see what we see because they only get
about 5 minutes with the horse.  But you know your animal.  Sometimes we
*see* things that aren't there ... but it still all boils down to your
gut instincts and judgment as to whether or not to continue when the vet
says we can.

I can't speak to the condition of the horses you saw at Goethe because I
wasn't there.  I can tell you that IMO we have some of the finest vets
here in the SE and they are a very conscientious group.  I've learned so
much from them, both as a rider and as a scribe.

Laurie Underwood