[RC] Goethe - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Beth Thorne thornebug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

First I would like to say the Goethe Ride was once again wonderful.  Thank you
to Pat Thomas and all of her volunteers to a job well done!  That was the most
100 mile riders I have seen in one place yet!
For the first time I had to pull from a ride.  I had completed the first loop,
went through the vet check with all A's.  After the hold time I went to leave
and at a walk everything was fine at a trot Joker was lame on the right front,
I checked for a rock or something and could'nt find anything wrong so I turned
around and went back.  I had Michael Porter check him and he did a flexion test
and thought he had hyper extended his ankle.  Anyway, We put liniment on it an
wrapped it for support and Michael looked at him again an hour later and he was
only slightly off.  No riding for 2 weeks but at least he is okay.
I'm not sure I understand the pulling for lameness thing.  I know there are 1 -
5 levels of lameness, and I thought if there was a level 3 they must pull.  I
sat there and watched the vetting area and I was very supprised at the number
of lame horses that went through and were not pulled?  At what point should a
horse be pulled?  There were a few that were so bad there is no way I would
have ridden off on them with a clear conscious, much less understand how the
vets let them go.  I pulled my horse because he was off and he was not nearly
as bad as these others were.  Can anyone explain how these horses received
completions?