Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Joe Long

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:44:35 EST, Merryben@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 12/16/2004 12:44:25 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jlong@xxxxxxxx writes:

I see two reasons that the AERC should have a minimum age for riders:  the
altruistic one, for the benefit of the very young children that a few people
enter in rides; and the other to protect the AERC from the disastrous
consequences should a five or six year-old child be maimed or killed on an
AERC sanctioned event.

Number one I repeat that you can't make a young child do anything they really
don't want to do

Children often want to do things that are not good for them, it's one of the
reasons there are so many activities that do not permit people younger than a
certain age to participate (and so many others that have divisions for children
but do not allow them to compete directly with adults).

However, I disagree with what you are suggesting.  Young children want so much
to please their parents, that it is easy for parents to believe that the child
"wants" to do what in reality the parent wants them to do.  I'm not talking
about teenagers here, the subject is kids younger than eight years old.

and if I remember correctly the only person I know of that
died at an endurance ride from other than natural causes was a child and
nothing ever came of that and I bet most people on this list don't even know
about
it.....

Would you care to enlighten us?  Including, was the child younger than eight
years old?

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx