Re: [RC] wildlife - MtnRondi

I remember trotting down the trail one day and my horse kept swinging his head back and forth, like he was trying to see behind him. I looked back and a doe was trotting right behind us.

Another time, a bobcat kitten jumped out on the trail in front of me and I followed him for a long time. He was so cute because he was chasing a butterfly and was hopping through the weeds trying to catch it.

Another time I could see a bobcat hunting up the dirt road ahead of me. He was going in and out of the bushes. Then he came out onto the road and sat down. I kept getting closer and closer. He saw me and flattened himself to the ground. I thought it was funny because he flattened his ears so tight that I'm sure he figured I could not see him. I was getting worried because I really was getting close and I knew he might explode as soon as I was next to him, so I started shouting and waving my arms and he jumped back into the bushes just before I got to him.

One time I was riding at dusk down a dirt road and suddenly I saw a huge pack of coyotes coming down the road toward me. It was very eerie to see them. They never veered off course, but just parted the pack around me as I rode through them. One went up onto the hillside and sat down as I passed. He was about eye level with me and he just stared directly into my eyes. It gave me the creeps.

Early one morning I was out riding and surprised a bobcat with a rabbit in its mouth. He was so startled that he dropped the limp rabbit and took off. I thought the rabbit was dead, but he jumped up and took off in the opposite direction.

Another time I was riding down into a canyon at dusk. As I approached the top of the canyon I came upon a HUGE flock of turkey vultures roosting for the night. They were all sitting in the low branches of trees and some were on the ground. That was sort of spooky.

Bonnie
So. Calif.